OUR TRIP TO ARIZONAMichael and I traveled to Tucson, Arizona in early December for a work conference I had to attend. We had never been to the desert state of Arizona, but due to our very pale skin, we had no concerns of being pulled over for an immigration check. Tucson is only about 60 miles from the Mexico border. We were happy to leave an unusually cold Florida for much warmer temperatures. During our 4-day trip, the weather was about 75 degrees during the day-perfect! We couldn’t get over how different Arizona is. There are very few trees and the ones that we did see were not very tall-no tall Florida pines in Arizona! We loved all of the cacti we saw everywhere. We felt like we were in the wild, wild west. The only grass was on a golf course. Most of the homes we saw were adobe style homes in a wide array of colors that seemed to match the colors of the beautiful Tucson sunrises and sunsets. It seems that home landscaping is quite easy to keep up with as most of the yards consisted of dirt, rocks and cacti. We got to stay at an amazing resort-the JW Marriott Sunpass Resort & Spa. It was located in the mountains and provided a great view of the city of Tucson.
On our Arizona “to do” list was to eat authentic Mexican food. Michael loves Mexican food so before we left for the trip, I did some research to try to find the best Mexican restaurant in the area. We decided to eat at El Charro Café because it was established in 1922 making it the oldest Mexican restaurant in the United States. Now I had always heard about how Americanized Mexican food tastes nothing like the real deal. I was trying to prepare myself for a different experience. Like American Mexican entrees, the El Charro Café served large portions. I ordered a grilled chicken bahia soft taco, a pollo el charro enchilada and a chicken tamal with refried beans and rice. Michael ordered a beef taco and burrito entree. It truly must have been the real deal, because we tasted flavors we had never had before. But you know what? We loved the Americanized version better! I hate to admit it, but I don’t like corn tortillas. I love the less healthy yummy white flour tortillas. And tamales aren’t great. Sorry Mexico!
We had the chance to do a little bit of driving to explore the local area. We loved the mountains and the gorgeous views. We drove to The Desert Museum which featured animals and plants native to Arizona. We also learned a lot about the local cacti. Michael experienced a close encounter with a very large beaver. We went down into a cave to have a close-up view of the beavers. There was a glass window that separated us from the beaver exhibit. Because we were in a dark cave, there is a button that you press to turn a light on to see inside the window exhibit. Michael hit the button and literally right in front of his face was a huge beaver pressed up against the glass. He screamed like a girl and ran! Unfortunately, I was the only person to witness this event. We still laugh about that beaver.
Overall, we enjoyed visiting Tucson. We love exploring new places and we are constantly impressed by our diverse country.
Michael's first authentic mexican meal
View from our Resort

Prarie Dog at the Desert Museum-so cute!
No comments:
Post a Comment